St. Peter's Catholic ChurchFt. Wayne, Indiana
3 manuals, 37 ranks
year complete, 1999
The pipe organ for Saint Peter’s Church was built by the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts in 1958 as Opus 1337 for the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Fort Wayne, Indiana. In the spring of 1998, the instrument was purchased by Saint Peter’s Church for reubuilding and installation by Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc., Warrensburg, Missouri. The instrument, as rebuilt, is a three-manual electro-pneumatic instrument with 37 ranks and 2,218 pipes. The organ case is from the original Tellers-Kent Organ Company installation.
The original ranks of the Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ have been installed without modification to the original voicing. Only corrective voicing and tonal finishing have been undertaken on these ranks. The original Aeolian-Skinner specification has been augmented by the addition of an eight stop choir division containing 6 ranks from the previous Tellers-Kent pipe organ, a two rank Chancel Organ with the 4′ Spitzflute from Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1315, a new 1 3/5′ Tierce for the swell division built by Thomas H. Anderson, former head of the pipe shop for Aeolian-Skinner, a new 2′ Principal for the choir division, and a 16-8-4’unit Trumpet rank voiced in Aeolian-Skinner style installed in the choir division. All voicing work has been accomplished by Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc. The windchest and reservoir for all choir ranks, except the Trumpet, were built for the great division of Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1068. The choir Trumpet rank is located on the Tellers-Kent Organ Company Trumpet unit windchest. The Harp with original action and Chimes are from the Tellers-Kent installation. The Tierce is located on an Aeolian-Skinner windchest from the voicing machine of John Hendriksen, former head flue voicer, for Aeolian-Skinner.
A three manual 1978 Reuter console provided for this installation has been refinished, rebuilt with draw knobs, coupler rail, and marker plates in the Aeolian-Skinner style to reflect the instrument’s heritage. The draw knobs and tilting coupler tablets are from Harris Precision products. The key and stop functions are controlled by a Peterson-Electro Musical Products diode matrix switching system. The combination action, also by Peterson, has 32 levels of memory.
The key, stop action, and reservoirs of Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1337 and all other windchests have been completely restored with new CPL leather.