CHURCH OF THE NATIVITYLeawood, Kansas
3 manuals, 37 ranks
year complete, 1991
The pipe organ for the Church of the Nativity was built by Hook and Hastings of Boston, Massachusetts in 1917, as opus 2382 for the Thirteenth Church of Christ, Scientists in Chicago, Illinois. It was tonally and mechanically rebuilt by the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, also of Boston, in 1946 as the company’s opus 1086. In the fall of 1991, the instrument was secured through the assistance of the Organ Clearing House for rebuilding and installation by Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc. of Warrensburg, Missouri. It is a three manual electro-pneumatic instrument with 37 ranks and 2,160 pipes.
The new casework is constructed of oak and contains 30 polished zinc pipes with tin mouths. Twenty-one pipes are functional and are part of the 16′ Pedal Principal stop.
The console was built for this installation with drawknobs, coupler rail and marker plates in the Aeolian-Skinner style to reflect the instrument’s true heritage. The drawknobs and tilting coupler tablets are from Harris Precision Products. The key and stop functions are controlled by Peterson Electro-Musical Products Multi-plex relay system. The combination action, also by Peterson, has 32 levels of memory.
The large polished pipes in the organ’s case were constructed by A. R. Schopp’s Sons Inc. according to specifications provided by the organbuilder. Forty-nine pipes of the Positive Rohrflute and Koppleflute were made by Thomas H. Anderson, former head of the pipe shop at Aeolian-Skinner. These new pipes were voiced by John H. Hendriksen, former head flue voicer for Aeolian-Skinner. All of the pipes were checked for proper speech and regulated for the requirements of this church by Mr. Hendriksen.