CHURCH OF THE MESSIAHRHINEBECK, NEW YORK
3 manuals, 28 ranks
COMPLETION, SPRING 2021
1920 Skinner Opus 233
The pipe organ was built especially for this building by E. M. Skinner, and donated to the Church of the Messiah by Capt. Vincent Astor in 1921. The organ chamber contains three stories of pipes. The Skinner reputation was deservedly very high, and the company built organs for American’s finest churches and universities. This Skinner organ has all the essential elements: warm, rich foundation stops, accompaniment voices of great beauty (especially the Swell strings); and superb solo reeds (tuba, English horn, and Flugelhorn).
A twenty-note tubular set of chimes, electrically operated from the console at both keys and pedals, was installed by the Skinner Company in July 1930, also a gift of Capt. Astor. The chimes add to the scope of this beautiful instrument.
In 2019, Quimby Pipe Organs entered into a contract with The Episcopal Church of the Messiah, to remove the existing instrument so that restoration work can commence to the existing church building. The pipe organ will undergo a complete restoration.