CALVIN CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCHGRAND RAPIDS, MI
3 manuals, 50 ranks
year complete, 2009
The pipe organ at Calvin Christian Reformed Church was installed in 1957 by the Æolian-Skinner company. Enhancements were done by Æolian-Skinner in 1958, and again by local consultants in 1978. After 50 years of continuous use, the church decided to upgrade the organ controls, and to add ranks to increase its color and broadness of tone.
Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc., of Warrensburg, MO rebuilt the console and controls in 2008, using new manuals and a Peterson ICS4000 control system. In 2009 Quimby also added five vintage ranks, all in the Æ-S tonal design, and totally cleaned and regulated the instrument.
It is one of the few organs of the American Classic design still remaining in the Grand Rapids area.
Article by Mr. Bruce Klanderman