Quimby Pipe Organs announces the signing of a contract to install a new five-manual and pedal organ of 142 ranks at Fourth Presbyterian Church, Chicago, Illinois. The new instrument, which makes limited use of extant pipework from the church’s former 1914 Skinner and 1971 Aeolian-Skinner organs, is conceived as an American symphonic organ, with English Romantic leanings. Special effort is being employed in terms of scaling and voicing in order to create dramatic, cohesive ensembles that succeed within acoustically challenging parameters. In addition to a robust pedal division complete with a 32’ full-length Contra Trombone, the Manual divisions are organized as follows: Great, Swell, Choir, Orchestral, Fanfare, Positiv, and Antiphonal. Casework from the 1914 Skinner and 1992 South Transept Goulding & Wood facades are being retained, with new casework constructed for installation in the North Transept.
Read recent Wall Street Journal article here: